Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Southampton Connection?

Brendan Gowen tracks down another branch of Ballyhooly Gowens - in Southampton...
[Quote]

I have identified a family living in Southampton in 1911 as descendents of our Gowen group in Ballyhooly – they are not directly part of either of our groups ( John Going # 1 or #2) but are never the less Gowens from Ballyhooly.
 
I’ve found a Philip James ( or James Philip ) Going living in 134 Bevois Valley Rd. Southampton. He and his family owned the Portswood Hotel there at that time.
 
Philip, I can confirm was born in Cappagh, Ballyhooly in 1851 and is the son of an Edmond Going (John Going #1’s brother I believe) and Ellen Collins. Philip Joined the Navy in 1869 but by 1901 he was a naval pensioner.
 
Philip was married to Mary Rose Bartlett and the had the following children:
  • Ellen, born Jan Feb Mar 1875
  • Edmund James, born July Aug Sept 1876 ( Died in 1896)
  • George, born July Aug Sept 1880
  • Mary Annie, born April May June 1882
  • Philip James, born Jan Feb March 1888
  • Arthur Joseph, born April May June 1890
 
In 1911 all 5 children, except Edmund, were still alive …
 
I have come across British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards that I found that I suspect are two of the sons … but that is where the trail goes cold ….. ( I have some information from earlier dates but nothing that can advance the search).
 
Incidentally this family is using the ‘Going’ surname spelling ( instead of Gowen) long after 1901 … which is the only group from Ballyhooly ( so far) that I have found.
 
[Unquote]
 
 
Please update, correct or add to the details given here by leaving a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment